The West Virginia University Alumni Association is a nonprofit organization dedicated to keeping our more than 175,000 alumni connected and engaged in the life of WVU.
Our 28,000 dues-paying members support programs and activities such as Homecoming, the WVU Academy of Distinguished Alumni and dozens of other social and philanthropic programs that enhance the mission of WVU. Additionally, our more than 100 registered chapters and constituent groups help to extend the reach of WVU globally by assisting with student recruiting, performing public service in the communities in which they live, serving as advocates for the University and assisting with career networking and mentoring.The Erickson Alumni Center opened its doors in October 2008 and serves as the home away from home for alumni and friends of WVU. With more than 48,000 sq. ft. of space, this magnificent facility provides alumni with a place to visit and reminisce with old friends, read one of the books in our alumni library or enjoy the campus scenery.
The Alumni Association was founded on June 19, 1873, by 16 graduates who met in the University Chapel at the call of Reverend Alexander Martin, the University’s first president. The group was composed of Marmaduke H. Dent (first president of the Alumni Association), Class of 1870; Oliver H. Dille, Class of 1871; William E. Jolliffe, Class of 1871; Benjamin W. Smith, Class of 1872; and these members of the Class of 1873: Daniel B. Purinton, Edmund T. Bullock, Taylor B. McClure, John T. Harris, Charles M. Babb, James T. Waters Jr., William T. Pritchard, James F. Brown, George P. Lynch, William L. Boughner, Thomas H. Price and Marcellus L. Temple, who signed the first Constitution in that order.